First published on Sports Illustrated Philippines
Kyrie Irving is a world champion and bonafide NBA superstar. Kids look up to him because he’s a great scorer and can handle the ball with creativity and quickness.
The latest release off his signature show line, the Nike Kyrie 3, was built to handle Irving’s explosive and flashy playing style.
Yes the shoes are a tool to help Irving move better on the court, but it’s really about the work he puts in behind the scenes that make him become a great basketball player.
During one of our Kyrie Challenge training sessions on January 21, coach Yuri Escueta emphasized the importance of repetition, mastering basic exercises and dribbling skills to become as explosive as the Cavaliers superstar.
“More on repetition of the exercises para lumakas yung muscles. Yung explosiveness mo makukuha mo sa quad muscles mo, sa hamstrings, sa legs and sa core mo. Pag lumakas siya mas magiging explosive ka,” said Escueta.
We put the Kyrie 3 to the test throughout our workouts, and so far I can say the shoes are great for players who rely on their speed and ball handling, because it’s got amazing traction and responds well to quick attacks and unpredictable lateral movements.
So apart from wearing the shoes, if you want to become as explosive as Kyrie Irving you have to work on the same execrises he does that concentrate on explosiveness.
Here’s the complete 45-minute Kyrie Irving workout, taken from the Nike+ Training Club app.
- 20 knee hugs
- 20 dynamic quadriceps stretch (alternating)
- 10 hip cradles (alternating)
- 30 a-skips
- 30 lateral shuffle
- 30 carioca
- 20 reverse lunge reaches
- 20 hip lifts
- 20 hip lift march (alternating)
Lower body strength (3x)
- 10 kettlebell front squats (heavy weights)
- 12 dumbbell step-ups (alternating)
- 8 lateral bounds
- 30 high plank shoulder taps
- 20 pendulum legs
Upper body strength (3x)
- 8 three point dumbbell rows (left arm and right arm)
- 10 pull-ups
- 16 T push-ups
- 50 run in place
- 40 mountain climbers
- 30 stance switches
- 20 quick feet in and outs
- 10 lateral jump burpees
- 10 lateral hip openers
- 1 min. kneeling quadriceps stretch (each for left and right leg)
- 30 sec. figure four stretch (each for left and right leg)
- 30 sec. side lying T stretch (left arm)
- 1 min. lower back stretch (left side)
- 30 sec. side lying T stretch (right arm)
- 1 min. lower back stretch (right side)
- 30 sec. dynamic chest stretch
Photo from Cavs/Twitter